Volvo

Volvo

Saturday 9 November 2013

What lies beneath

With work commitments, I haven't been able to get down to the workshop this week as I'd hoped, but Keith sent me a few photos this morning which reveal that my car has now lost almost all the trim and is looking a little sorry for itself.  However, from what I can see it's in pretty solid shape, save some metalwork around front and rear screens, and the rearmost panel at the top near the boot lit.  Also, looks like the previous owner might have made a bit of a mess with the (1980's) radio installation, so I want to ensure that's returned to stock for fitment of a period 1961 radio. 

I can't wait to get underneath it and have a prod around for myself; meanwhile I'm enjoying the early 1960's re-published road tests in Brooklands Books' P1800 Ultimate Portfolio which reveal my car to be a solidly built, fast and capable long distance grand tourer.  I don't know why I find references to the "Laycock de Normanville Overdrive" funny, but I do.  And I know that, when driving along in this car with my family on a weekend jolly, I shall announce with an air of gravity that passengers should sit back and relax as we prepare to "engage the Laycock de Normanville"...



A very good friend of mine, upon seeing this, said "I know you're not a fan of rat-look, but...."
I know.  Put the glass back in and just drive it, Andy.



Those little cracks at the top of the wheel arches worry me a little, as this car had a tow bar fitted.  Apparently towing with these can induce stress on that area.  


Taking off the rear number plate light reveals original 52-year-old paint, and as we suspected, it's that creamy off-white.  Still haven't decided if it's going to end up in that hue again... so far, friends and Volvisti seem to be leaning towards silver.





No comments:

Post a Comment